Saturday, January 29, 2011

Previews

I'm one of those odd people who doesn't skip the previews before watching a movie. I actually really like previews. Often, I end up adding the previewed movies to my Netflix queue, which is one of the reasons my queue is always so darn long. A side effect of having such a long queue is that I've often forgotten what a movie is about, or why I put it in the queue, by the time it arrives at my house. This is another reason I think it's good to watch the previews, since they often provide a general sense of the movie I'm about to watch. If it's a romantic comedy, the previews will most likely be for other romantic comedies, for example. Tonight, as I saw previews for movies I had never heard of, some in foreign languages, several which had been selections at Cannes and other film festivals, I knew I was in for an independent flick. It was, and I thought it was an excellent one. If you enjoy that type of movie, or if you want an excellent example of how good an actress Sigourney Weaver can be, I recommend Snow Cake.

2 comments:

Gary said...

Kati,

We have a theater in Columbus, the Drexel, that sounds like you'd love it. We saw The King's Speech there Saturday and we noticed something different about the crowd at the end of the film - almost no one got up and left at the end. Everyone stayed to watch the credits.

We also always enjoy the previews and discover movies we would never watch otherwise.

Ocrakate said...

I would definitely love that! I also like to watch the credits to the very end. I love it when filmmakers reward that with little surprises during the credits, or at the very end.