Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ferry naps

I had an appointment in Kitty Hawk today, so I rode the 9 AM ferry, spent a good part of the day on the northern end of the Outer Banks, and then rode the 5 PM ferry home. On the 9 AM ride, I covered myself with my coat and took a short nap. I love naps on the ferry, because I feel like even though I am sleeping, I am still making some sort of progress (since the car is getting somewhere, even though I'm not actively driving it). I guess that's why I like sleeping in a car when someone else is driving it, too.

I did not take a nap on the ferry on the way home, because I was nearly at the end of the book I was reading and wanted to finish it, so I did that instead. I was home for an hour - just enough time to eat some dinner and print the agendas - and then I headed back out, to the Ocracoke Civic and Business Association meeting. I'm serving as the secretary (again) temporarily. Well, theoretically it's temporary. After I told Rudy I could take notes for the winter meetings while the current secretary was traveling off the island, said current secretary sent out a note saying she was resigning that post. So now OCBA needs a secretary (again)...and since I'm "filling in", just "for now", I suspect it will end up being me (again). I don't mind - it's a good way to keep up with some of what is happening on the island, specifically in terms of county politics/policies, business activities, and NPS updates.

Anyway, it has been a long day and I'm tired. (Probably should have taken a nap on that second ferry ride, too. Instead, I'll go take a long (i.e. overnight) "nap" in my bed!)

Sleep well, wherever you are...

3 comments:

Trisha said...

Let's face it, ferry naps are the best naps ever! Loud exhaust fans muffle outside noises, the boat's gentle rocking is soothing (usually!). I try to keep a small head rest pillow in the car just for this purpose. And, it's winter. Naps are extra welcome.

Anonymous said...

What are you currently reading? I'm about to finish my current book and need some ideas.

Lisa/OH

Ocrakate said...

Hi Lisa -

The book I finished on the ferry was The Finishing School by Gail Godwin. It was quite good - I found myself underlining many sentences just because they were either great sentences or captured really well something I had felt or experienced. (Underlining like that is one of the ways I measure whether I feel a book is "good". I also enjoy mindless reading sometimes but wouldn't call those books "good" per se, or recommend them. :) )

The next book I've just started reading is non-fiction: The Power of Attention by Steven Maurice Droullard. I think that one may be self published (I got it from a friend, who knows the author). I made a resolution to read one non-fiction book for every fiction one I read this year (we'll see how that goes...), so this is my first one to meet that goal.

As far as other general ideas/suggestions: for fiction, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg is my all time favorite book (I've read it around 12 times). I also like almost anything by Anita Shreve or Jodi Picoult. If you want to learn more about Ocracoke, I highly recommend Ocracokers by Alton Ballance (non-fiction).

Wow...apparently I shouldn't get started writing about what I'm reading....I could go on all night!