Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Lunch and resolutions

I went to lunch with a friend today, because one of my resolutions is to do a better job of keeping up, and spending time, with the ladies I love. I don't necessarily believe in New Year's resolutions per se - I think you can make a decision and a commitment to do something on any day of the year. (I have made choices and started life changes on a wide variety of dates.) But I do love the "clean slate" feeling of a new year...or a new month, or a new week, or heck even a new day for that matter! What a blessing that we are able to start anew, make amends, learn from our mistakes and continue becoming better people.

When you live on Ocracoke, one nice thing about making choices to start new activities at the beginning of a new year is that it can be a bit easier to implement things during the winter, when the island is quiet and there's significantly less of all the busy-ness that will come in just a few months. Hopefully I can use the quiet winter time to develop some good new habits, and they'll be so ingrained by the time the busy summer arrives that I will keep right on doing them.

If you make resolutions, or even if you don't, I wish you all the best with whatever choices you make this year, wherever you are...

No comments: