Monday, April 13, 2009

Random

I'm fascinated by the random things which wash up on the beach. Many of them are predictable, obviously, like seashells, seaweed, and other sea-debris. But sometimes even the predictable debris becomes interesting. I found this combination of debris visually interesting - the way the various sticks seem to be tied together by the fishing line (or whatever that string is...I didn't look closely enough to tell).



Some items are evidence of people enjoying the beach. I often see partially burned wood, which I usually assume to be the remnants of beach bonfires.



And every now and then, things on the beach are evidence of Ocracoke history. I think that these are parts of the old landing mats, which were used when there was no paved road down the island, to help ensure that cars driving off the ferry from Hatteras (which carried a whopping total of 4 cars) wouldn't get stuck in the soft sand.



Pieces of old shipwrecks, of course, are great examples of beach debris which provide evidence of Ocracoke history, but unfortunately I don't have any photos of those handy at the moment.

No comments: