Saturday, April 4, 2009

It's nifty to be thrifty

Okay, yes I know that's a really goofy blog title. Sometimes I like to be a bit silly. (Okay, yes, I know, you've already noticed...) :)

There's a new thrift store on the island, in the space at the back of the building that holds Ocracoke Coffee Company (where Java Books used to be). The space is actually shared by the thrift store and Blue Door Antiques (which, you may remember, was previously on Lighthouse Road). Thrift Store sales will benefit the Ocracoke Youth Center, which is a terrific cause to support if you ask me. (In case you don't know, the Youth Center program plans activities for kids of all ages, from babies a few months old (Connor goes to Saturday morning baby play group) up to teens about to graduate high school.)

I went into the thrift store this afternoon, after leaving the health fair, supposedly just to "check it out"...but I didn't leave empty handed. I bought five things, including one that would be difficult to impossible to find anywhere else on the island (a lamp). But I spent less than $25! I love a good thrift store, and will definitely be back!

No comments: