Friday, May 15, 2009

School lunch

As I have mentioned on this blog before, I read to the first grade class once a week. I generally do so in the hour or so before lunch, so once our time ends, I usually stop in the school commons area and say hello to the second and third graders (whom I read to when they were in first grade).

You may already know that there's no cafeteria at Ocracoke School. The students either go home for lunch, or bring it with them to school and eat in the commons area. If students bring food which needs to be heated, their teachers do that using microwaves in the classrooms or in the commons area.

I have seen all the standard school lunch fare during my chats with the kids, including peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, pizza, and juice boxes.

Today, however, I heard a student excitedly exclaim, after opening his lunch box, "I have fresh cobia!" And indeed he did. It looked delicious, and I was seriously jealous of his lunch.

I bet there aren't too many towns where kids have fresh (that is, caught the day before) cobia in their school lunches!

No comments: