Thursday, May 14, 2009

Progress?

Work continues at the building which will soon open as Jimmy's Buffet. The new sign has been installed.



I like the sign okay.

I do not, however, like what they did to the roof.



Beyond the fact that this is a historic building (having been moved from the military base which was on Ocracoke during WWII), putting a straw roof on any building is just cheesy. And - at least until Jimmy's came to town - Ocracoke had managed to avoid stupid touristy cheesy-looking buildings like this. Yuck.

So now, from my perspective, Jimmy's has two strikes: the faux grass roof and the exorbitant price. So I may not eat there and provide a review here, after all. Or maybe I still will. I'm undecided. Guess I'll wait until they open and listen to hear what others are saying about the place to decide whether I want to experience it for myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've written before to tell you how much I love your blog and I'm doing it again. :-) Your blog is so informative. I am so sorry to see photos of JIMMY's......not ready for this kind of tackiness for Ocracoke. Many years ago we use to go to Chincoteague, Va. when it was laid back and didn't have a McDonald's; now it's changed and doesn't have the same feel at all. Is this going to happen to Ocracoke?
Keep on informing, please.

Pat..........

Anonymous said...

I agree maybe Jimmy's will not progress!

Ocrakate said...

THAT'S the word I was trying to think of when writing that blog: tackiness. Ugh. It's a sad day that tackiness has arrived here.
:(

Thanks Pat. Glad you enjoy the blog...I'll keep 'em coming!

I also kinda hope that Jimmy's will not progress! (Plus I love the play on words...)