Friday, January 2, 2009

January calendar

I have a wipe off calendar on my fridge, which I prepare every month to help me keep track of what is happening and when. I erased December yesterday, and replaced it with January. The result is somewhat depressing: compared to December, January looks completely bereft of activity.

I wish I had a photograph of the December calendar, but I didn't think to take one before erasing it. But here's the January calendar.



As you can see, there's a grand total of six things written on it. (To make matters worse, two of the things aren't even fun (one's a Dr. appointment, and one's an appointment with the phone company, who will hopefully fix the DSL issue I've been having), and one of them is downright sad (the memorial service for the friend who passed away a few days ago.)

The December calendar, in contrast, had many, many entries on it (several days had two events, and a handful had three!), most of which were fun (holiday dinners, concerts, parties, church services, pictures with Santa, and other such activities) or preparation-for-fun (rehearsals for aforementioned concerts and services). There were a couple of random non-fun items, too...Connor's flu shot, as one example...but it was mostly celebratory.

No wonder so many people get depressed in January! I try to see things positively, though, so I'm going to think of the empty calendar as "boundless time for new opportunities", rather than "boring lack of activities".

No comments: