Sunday, January 18, 2009

Construction zone

Molasses Creek sings a song called "Cedar Island Ferry", which I (and most others who ever hear it) find hilarious. The words to the chorus change each time it is sung, and one chorus repeats the phrase "construction zone" several times. They are talking about the work area on a highway (the song is about driving, trying to make it to the ferry on time). This time of year, though, you don't have to catch a ferry and get on a highway to see construction in progress, as that type of work is often done during the winter here on the island.

This winter seems a bit slower than usual in the construction realm. I certainly have not noticed quite as much building activity as I usually see in January, and a friend who works in that field of endeavor here mentioned to me recently that the workload is definitely down for her. There are two projects happening right now, which you may have noticed if you live here (and you will probably notice the changes at these locations the next time you visit if you don't). The first is the work to renovate the Fish House, which was made possible by a grant they recently received from the Golden Leaf Foundation. From the looks of things over there, they are making some major changes, and I am looking forward to seeing it once they are all done. The other project, which I just noticed for the first time today, is work being done at the Creekside Cafe. It's hard to tell (at least to my uneducated - in terms of construction - eye) what they are planning, but if I had to guess I would say they are going to expand the space. It may be that they are adding indoor seating, but it's also entirely possible that it will just be a deck (at the moment, it's some pilings in the ground and a pile of lumber sitting to the side). I'll try to remember to keep you posted on the work as it proceeds.

January is a good time for new construction, both literally and metaphorically speaking. It's a great season to start fresh, renewing our minds and our selves in readiness for a new year, perhaps building a new healthy habit or removing old "structures" in our thinking which are holding us back from our best. I spent the past week (my retreat) laying the foundation for the "construction and demolition" work I want to do in my own life this year, and now I'm looking forward to getting started! Hope any "construction" projects you have planned for yourself in 2009 will go well, wherever you are...

No comments: