Friday, January 9, 2009

Biker gang

I went to the Post Office late tonight (it was around 9:45), and ran into a friend there (people go to the PO at all hours of the day here; since the boxes are accessible 24x7, you can always get your mail even though you obviously can't buy stamps or send packages except during their open hours). Anyway, I chatted with my friend for about half an hour, and then finally went in to get my mail (after we both got cold from standing outside; it is really chilly here tonight). So by the time I left, it was around 10:15.

The moon is full, so it wasn't pitch black, but it was reasonably dark as I made my way on Highway 12 toward home. I wasn't far from the Post Office when my headlights picked up several small spots of flashing red light ahead of me. After an initial reaction of "what is that?", I realized that they were reflectors on the backs of bicycles, and that there were a bunch of them (I tried to count, but it was difficult since they were moving; it was probably around eight to ten). I slowed down as they rearranged themselves into more-or-less single file (they had been spread completely across the road, until my lights signaled my approach), then looked over to see who it was as I went by. The group consisted of local teenagers, and I immediately recognized the ones I could see well enough. There was another group (of about four to six more) slightly ahead of them on the road (which also worked to get into single file as I got close).

Just your average friendly biker gang, Ocracoke version.

No comments: