Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Shopping

I have shopped at one of my favorite stores (Books to be Red) on the island multiple times recently, and two of those times were particularly unique-to-Ocracoke.

First, I went into the shop to get a Peter Rabbit book for Connor. This had been a long time coming, and started a couple of weeks before when I saw Leslie at Bingo and asked if she had any Peter Rabbit books. She said that she did not, but she would order one right away. I told her that the reason I wanted the book was because Connor has a cute Peter Rabbit outfit that I wanted to put him in and take a photo, and that I was worried he was going to outgrow the outfit. True to her word, Leslie ordered the book. When it didn't come in quickly, she ordered a couple of different Peter Rabbit books, in case they were less likely to be back ordered. She really worked hard to make sure we would get one before Connor outgrew the Peter Rabbit clothes! She even ordered a really cute gift set one which came with a plush Peter Rabbit. When the books finally arrived in the shop, Leslie called me to let me know.

I went in a couple of days later, and realized shortly after I arrived that I didn't have any money with me. Whoops. No problem, though. The store staff let me take my books home so I could take the photos, and I came back in later in the day with a credit card. That probably wouldn't happen too many other places, and was definitely appreciated, as Connor barely fit into the outfit that afternoon!

My next visit to the store and unique-to-Ocracoke (for lack of a better way to describe it) experience involved much less advance planning. I went in to buy a birthday present for Lachlan, on the day of his party. I noticed that there were other people I know in the shop doing exactly the same thing, so apparently I'm not the only procrastinator around here! If you ever need a gift for a kid, by the way, Books to be Red is a great shop to get one. As I went to pay for Lachlan's present (yes, I remembered money this time), I asked Leslie if anyone else had already bought him the same thing. She confirmed that no one had. Now isn't that a nice extra benefit of living in a small town?

In case you're wondering how the Connor with Peter Rabbit books pictures turned out, here's one for your viewing pleasure. Isn't he cute?

No comments: