Sunday, August 10, 2008

Movie nights

It's well known that there's no movie theater on Ocracoke. Some people don't like that fact, but most of the folks I've talked to about it don't mind at all. I love movies, but I usually only see one a year in a theatre. The rest of the time, I'm content to watch them on DVD. I generally actually prefer DVDs, because I enjoy watching the "special features" to learn more about a film I liked watching.

Every now and then, though, it is fun to watch a movie on a bigger screen, especially for kids. To that end, the Ocracoke Youth Center is hosting movie nights, every Tuesday at DeepWater Theater at 7 PM. There's no admission charge, but raffle tickets and snacks are available for purchase which raises funds for the Youth Center. What's playing is announced weekly on the bulletin board at the Post Office (and possibly other spots on the island as well, but I know for sure it's at the PO). So if you're visiting and looking for something to entertain the family on Tuesday night, or if you live here and you're jonesing to see a movie on a larger screen (and if you don't mind watching a movie with a younger audience), head out to the theater some Tuesday night and enjoy!

No comments: