Saturday, August 30, 2008

Flying is a pain

I previously thought that flying was a somewhat annoying process (although I fully understand the need for all the security measures). I had no idea how lucky I had it, though. You haven't experienced the true maximum level of annoyance that flying can provide until you have flown with a four month old baby. Connor actually was GREAT, only crying for a few minutes on one of the flights, but just the process of carrying a baby, and a diaper bag, and a camera, and a purse, and a laptop, and another carry on bag, through three airports can make even the happiest of people slightly frazzled. And trying to fold the stroller in a small jetway, with other passengers glaring at you when it takes a moment, is most enjoyable. (She said, sarcastically.)

As if that wasn't enough, then you look up and see another woman: calm, cool and collected, her makeup is perfect, her baby is smiling in the Baby Bjorn carrier, and all seems right in her world. Wow, being a parent is a humbling experience. Instead of throwing something at the perfect lady (which is what I wanted to do), I decided to learn from her instead. So on our way home, Connor will be in the Snugli carrier too. I still won't be wearing makeup and I can't promise calm, cool, and collected, though. But I should be faster at folding the stroller quickly, now that I've had three airports worth of practice.

Hope your travels (for this holiday weekend and any future trips) are as painless as possible, wherever you go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should count this as a learning experience and leave the kitchen sink at home next time.

Ocrakate said...

Oy.

Diaper bag - qty 1 - flat out required with 4 month old baby.

Camera - qty 1 - flat out required with CUTE 4 month old baby. I happen to have a Nikon SLR digital camera with an additional lens, so carrying that gear in its own bag is the best way to keep it all together and protected.

Laptop - qty 1 - I had to work during my time in Colorado.

Carry on bag - qty 1 - well sheesh I'm entitled to one carry on bag for goodness sakes! This one happened to contain items which we prefer not to check, like medications and jewelry (and my small purse was actually inside this bag too).

Kitchen sink - qty 0.

There were 2 adults (John and me), so we had 2 bags each, which is pretty normal and is what airlines expect and allow. The "perfect" mom also had multiple bags with her, by the way. As did just about everyone else on the plane.