Sunday, August 24, 2008

Learn to cook

I'm not a very good cook, even though I'm a firm believer in something my Aunt taught me: "if you can read, you can cook". In our house, John does most of the cooking, primarily because he is better at it!

I do, however, LOVE to eat. So when John doesn't want to cook, I often make what many intelligent women make for dinner: reservations. Luckily, we live on Ocracoke where there are plenty of terrific restaurants to choose from.

I can't eat in restaurants every night, though, so maybe I should do the next best thing: learn to cook some of the food that is served in them. To that end, I have purchased the cookbooks published with restaurant recipes, although I can't say I've tried all to prepare (or even many) of the items in them. Now, I (and you) have another opportunity to learn to cook scrumptious gourmet meals like those served at The Back Porch: Zillie's Island Pantry is hosting three cooking classes this fall, to be taught by Debbie Wells. Here are the details, in case you're interested in joining one of the sessions.

Gourmet Made Easy - September 13
Island Cooking - October 4
Southern Thanksgiving - November 15

All classes are held from 1 - 4 PM and are followed by dinner. They are limited to a group of 10 participants and cost $60 per person.

Yum...enjoy!

No comments: