Wednesday, April 2, 2008

What was that sound?

On Ocracoke, you can usually set your watch by the ferry horns. I often hear the one for the 7 AM trip to Cedar Island when I'm getting ready to start the day. The noon horn marks the middle of the day, and - at least until recently - the final one was at 5 PM, bringing a nice sense of closure as dusk began falling.

That's changed now, though. Recently, I have heard the new final horn - at 10 PM. Yes, really: 10 PM. The ferry division decided this year to try a late night run to Cedar Island, leaving Ocracoke at 10 PM. I suppose people who just hate to drag themselves away from the island might frequent it. Or its riders might be folks who don't have far to travel once they reach the mainland (which will be at 15 minutes past midnight!)

I'm not too sure it will get much traffic, but I guess time will tell. Let me know what you think - would you take a ferry that late?

No comments: