Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I scream, you scream, we all scream for...

...ice cream!

An anonymous reader posted a question in response to my rather lengthy blog about restaurants: "I hope you don’t mind, but I do have another food related question to ask: which shop serves the best ice cream? I’ve read about The Slushy Stand and Sweet Tooth, but no one has really mentioned where to get the best scoop or cone on the island."

Unfortunately, I won't be quite as eloquent (or, fortunately, quite as long winded) about ice cream as I was about food, although not because there isn't good ice cream on the island. Quite the contrary - it's all good! I am not an ice cream connoisseur by any means...I pretty much like all ice cream! So I don't have favorites, I just enjoy the many options. :) I think Slushy Stand has a few more flavor choices and other items (like sundaes, shakes, etc.) than Sweet Tooth, but in terms of quality they both have terrific ice cream. In previous years, Candyland has had ice cream in addition to their delicious fudge and other candy items, but I don't know if that's a permanent addition or if it was a temporary offering. Also one year there was a soft serve stand on Highway 12 - I adore soft serve, so I hope they'll be back this year but I don't know whether they will or not. Finally, there's sometimes a stand selling snow cones which usually sets up near the Slushy Stand, so that's another potential option.

Here's one final secret/insider tip: a place you might not think of for ice cream on the island is the Cafe Atlantic. They don't always have it on the dessert menu, but when they do it is homemade, delicious, and often served with a decadent hot fudge sauce.

Ooh, now I'm craving ice cream and everyone is closed for the evening so it's too late to get any. Darn.

No comments: