Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Colorado is...

...a bit chilly. It is lovely during the day (mid 60s to low 70s, about the same as in NC). But then the temperature drops to the high 30s to mid 40s overnight! That's a heckuva drop. Sleeping with socks on is required...

...windy. Here in Colorado Springs it is especially windy because the town is right at the foot of the mountains.

...DRY! I had no idea how much the general humidity of living at sea level impacts my daily existence. Here, I am thirsty all the time and my skin and lips are incredibly dry. Luckily, I haven't had any challenges with altitude sickness, though.

...beautiful. The mountains are lovely. Pike's Peak is visible from my sister's house (and pretty much every where else). It is amazing to see snow in April.

Hope you are enjoying the unique characteristics of wherever you are...

3 comments:

jacksonslade said...

Be sure to see Garden of the Gods. If I was not in North Carolina it would be Colorado.

Anonymous said...

Kati, if you've never taken the drive up Pike's Peak, DO IT! Then, after you reach the summit, think about how the hillclimb racers do it each summer. Starting at about the 6.5 mile mark and 9390 ft. elevation, it is 12.42 miles and 156 turns to the peak at 14,110 ft. The record, just set in 2007, is 10 minutes 1.408 seconds!!! www.ppihc.com

Ocrakate said...

Thanks jacksonslade and Tom! We are planning on doing both of your suggestions (Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods). This is definitely a lovely area, and I want to see more of it before heading back home. I'll be here until next Saturday, though, so it's nice not to be too rushed.

Tom - that hillclimb sounds amazing. Those people are in MUCH better shape than I am, that's for sure!