Saturday, April 19, 2008

More fabulous friends

Around 9:30 this morning, my friend Mary Ellen called to say that Jim (her husband) and Will (her son) were on their way over to mow our lawn. To understand what a wonderful favor this is, you need to see a picture of how overgrown the darn lawn had gotten (we have been so busy with moving, filing taxes, and planning for my trip to Colorado that we haven't had a chance to finalize getting set up with someone to maintain the yard for us). So here's a shot:


Yes, those are really tall large weeds. :(

Jim came riding down the street on his ride-on mower, like the cavalry coming to rescue us before we could be completely overrun by our lawn! He made short work of our back yard, while Will worked on the side and front.





I try not to be too obsessive about worrying what people think of me, but I didn't want my new neighbors to think a couple of complete slobs had moved in, so I was truly grateful to Jim and Will for significantly improving the appearance of our yard! They refused any payment, so I gave them something I hoped they wouldn't turn down: a 12 pack of beer. They accepted. :)

This event got me thinking about yesterday's blog (about growth on Ocracoke changing the character of the village) all over again. And I realized that I do have a final thought regarding that article: although change is inevitable, it is still up to the individuals who live here to do the things they can to maintain the unique character that is Ocracoke. And no matter how much things change, I believe those of us who live here will continue to do just that.

No comments: