Saturday, April 12, 2008

Fantastic friends

One of the many wonderful things about living on Ocracoke is the friendships I have developed here. I feel surrounded by love and support, and it has enabled me to take on new challenges, handle difficult situations, learn and grow.

Here's just one example.

My friend Sundae stopped by recently, to bring me a couple of gifts for the soon-to-be-arriving baby Connor. I loved the thoughtfulness of this - both the fact that she stopped by, and the gifts themselves. She brought me a cute rubber ducky with a pirate hat, perfect for Ocracoke (and especially coming from Sundae - her husband is the Captain of the Schooner Windfall and quite piratical at heart), and a baby gift which I'm certain very few others (certainly not from off island) would ever think to give at a shower: a net which will fit over Connor's crib, play yard, stroller, or anything else we might need it to go over, in order to keep Ocracoke's least loved but most prevalent critters - I'm talking about mosquitos of course - off him.

I know that Connor will appreciate that gift. And I will appreciate all the support I know I'll get from my friends, as I take on the new adventure of parenting. Several people have already volunteered to babysit, and I've started asking advice fromm all the good mommas I know. It's great to live in a community like this.

Hope you have supportive friends too, wherever you are...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’ve vacationed on Ocracoke a few times and will be doing so again this summer for a longer period of time. You mentioned that the friendships you’ve developed are just one of the many things you love about your home. I’m sure the atmosphere of the island is probably another aspect you love. The reason I ask is because I read this article savvytraveler.publicradio.org/ show/features/1998/19980829/ocracoke.shtml and began to feel guilty about my upcoming vacation. I love Ocracoke, and I would hate to think I was destroying its atmosphere. I like it because it is not like the rest of the developed areas on the Outer Banks. If you have the chance or would like to comment on the article, I’m just curious to hear how you feel as a local. Thank you so much for your time! :)