Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Stopping for sunset

As I drove home tonight after picking up sushi for dinner, I was treated to the sight of a lovely sunset. The sun seemed much larger than usual, close and low in the sky, and was very orange. I decided to stop at one of my favorite salt water spots, on the edge of Silver Lake and watch unttil it disappeared. As I pulled up, I saw a lady on a bicycle come up quickly, stop very suddenly, and jump out rapidly, grabbing her tripod and camera to capture the scene.

As I got out of the car, I saw Philip Howard, leading his Tuesday night "Ocracoke Ghost and History Walk". (If you haven't gone on one during one of your trips here, I highly recommend it - you will have fun, and learn a lot too! They are offered on Tuesday and Friday nights and start at Village Craftsmen.) I wondered briefly why Philip was stopping his group at that spot (I didn't think there was anything of historic or ghostly significance about Ride the Wind Surf Shop.) Then I heard Philip tell his group, "I stop here just so people can watch the sunset." What a great idea! Hope you get to take the time to stop and watch sunsets (or sunrises, or moonrises, or anything else you find lovely).

No comments: