Saturday, July 28, 2007

Aunt Blabby

If you read the Ocracoke Observer, you probably know who Aunt Blabby is. "Ocracoke's oldest and most opinionated server" is how she is described there. But that hardly does justice to the wickedly funny, acidly witty lady. I love Aunt Blabby ~ her column is the first one I read when I get the paper.

In the July paper, in response to a question, Aunt Blabby wrote, "Copernicus called. You are NOT the center of the universe." I found that hilarious ~ and thought provoking.

It is easy to become self centered and self focused. We are, after all, involved in everything that happens in our own lives. No one else on earth but me has heard EVERY single word I've ever said. (That's a blessing for the rest of you, believe me.)

What's my point? That sometimes blogging can become a bit, well, self focused. Thinking and writing about myself and my life and my daily habits and thoughts may be making me dangerously introspective and prone to melancholy. Or maybe I'm just tired.

Anyway, if you have any Ocracoke (or non-Ocracoke, for that matter!) topics you would like to know about, post a comment and let me know. I need to write about something other than me. And maybe you readers would like a new topic, too. Let me know...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kati, I'll throw a few ideas your way. Feel free to comment on any, all, or none. I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have on the real estate and business environments on the island. Are there any unfilled needs on the island that would fit in to the community. I have ideas for a couple small businesses that I might like to bring to Ocracoke one day. Now that you're well into the first tourist season with liquor by the drink, any observations on the impacts of that change? Have you noticed new visitors drawn specifically by Dr. Beach's #1 designation? Any inside stories/rumors/etc. on the Bonner Bridge? I get all my info from replacethebridgenow.com. When I come to Ocracoke, I always enjoy the drive down NC12 from Nag's Head. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kati, I have been visiting Ocracoke for years. It's my favorite vacation destination and visit for 2 weeks each year. This is the first year I have run across a very RUDE local person - your tow truck driver. I was kindly helping someone who was stuck in the very soft sand a few weeks ago and he didn't like it one bit. Started yelling at the kids that I was helping that he had lived on the island for 43 years and tourists don't know what they are doing. I was very shocked. Is he a hot head or do you think he was just having a bad day?

Ocrakate said...

There's no way I can know for 100% sure who you saw, but if it was Jesse of Beach Towing, he is a really great guy. Everyone has a bad day now and then, and he has probably had to pull out people who were trying to help others but didn't have the right equipment and ended up stuck themselves more than once. In addition, towing is, after all, how he makes his living, so perhaps from that perspective you can understand his frustration. Just my two cents...