Monday, July 30, 2007

Thank you for being here

I went to a potluck tonight, a party in honor of a lovely young lady named Emma who will be leaving the island later this week to spend her senior year as an exchange student in Denmark. The potluck was very well attended, an indication of how much Emma and her family are loved. Emma will be missed, although we are all excited for her to have this wonderful experience.

As I was preparing to leave, Emma's mom Karen said the sweetest thing to me: "Thank you for being here. And I don't mean just here, at the party; but here, part of the community." Where else but Ocracoke do people say such nice things to each other? (I hope there are other places!) It was such a blessing to me to hear that, as I have been in a grouchy mood lately. I actually was mentally writing a "rant-n-rave" blog this morning. Think I'll skip that. Thanks Karen, for reminding me to be grateful for the many reasons I love this town, and to focus on my gratitude instead of my grouchy attitude!

No comments: