Thursday, July 19, 2007

Island life

If you're wondering what it's really like to live on Ocracoke, here are a few anecdotes which will give you an idea of how life is here (at least this time of year).

Jamie and I went to dinner tonight. While chatting about life in general and what we had been up to, she said "I went to the beach today. Did you know there's a great beach outside the village?" I said "Wow, is it still there? I haven't been in so long I wasn't sure." Yes, of course I know our wonderful beach is still there, I just haven't seen it with my own eyes in a few days. I'm too busy. (In case you're worried, no I haven't missed any days on my salt water touching...luckily there are plenty of places within the village to touch salt water too!)

Earlier today, I got an email which mentioned the recent explosion in Manhattan. I had no clue that there had been an explosion in NYC. I haven't turned on a TV in days. I'm too busy.

Our friend Amy served Jamie and me at dinner tonight. We talked briefly about the fact that, several Sundays ago, Amy and I had a conversation to this effect:
"are Sunday nights usually a free time for you?"
"yes, sometimes"
"we should get together and go out for a drink some Sunday soon"
"definitely, that would be fun, let's do it"
As I said, that was several Sundays ago. We haven't done it (yet, I'm sure we will eventually). We're both too busy.

Amy went on to talk about the fact that she and her husband Dave took a walk on a recent evening. She commented to him that she really enjoyed walking in the evenings and they should do so more often. Then they started thinking about that, and realized the next time they would have an opportunity would be at least a week of evenings later. In the meantime, they're too busy.

So that's what island life is like for the locals during the summer: too busy. I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong. It is well worth the hard work this time of year, for the blessing of getting to live here year 'round. I love the summer, especially the long days of many sunlit hours. But I also definitely look forward to the quieter pace of "off season", when I'll get to go to the beach, keep up with the news, have a drink with friends, and go for walks more often.

Hope you are enjoying your summer, no matter how busy you are!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Made me smile to read that life can be "too busy" on Ocracoke, too! I've never been there "in season". I usually come, as I will this year, in late September and into October. Life is WONDERFUL on the island at that time! I also came out for New Year's Eve one time. That was great fun! I need to make another winter trip. I love the seashore in the winter! I've been scouting realtor.com looking for future home on the island, so, I'm sure I'll find myself in the "in season" liveliness eventually! Have a great day! Try not to be "too busy!" all the time!