Monday, July 16, 2007

Bookworm

I love to read. When I was a child, I would often read multiple books at once. Well, not literally at once, of course, but I would start a new one before finishing one I was reading, and take turns reading them at different times until I finished both. I'm not sure I can do that anymore, especially since reading is something I do in spurts when I can find a few spare minutes. Sometimes, I won't read for several days and will have to remind myself what the book I'm reading is about and what was going on when I stopped reading, in order to get caught up and continue.

Recently, I've been reading books which have an Ocracoke or Outer Banks connection. Some of them are non-fiction and literally about this area; others are fiction and have settings or scenes in the region; some are written by authors who live here.

There are a surprising number of books which fall into this category, so I could easily keep myself busy for quite a while. My friend Jamie has a bookshelf full, and I aspire to do the same. Currently, I only have a handful on my "Ocracoke books" shelf, but it's a start. In the meantime, I have borrowed two from Jamie, one of which I just started reading tonight(Crackpots by Sara Pritchard).

Here's a list of the several other Ocracoke/Outer Banks books which come to mind (I have read some, but not all, of these.) This list is off the top of my head, so there may be errors in exact titles or author name spellings.

Ocracokers - Alton Ballance
Holiday for Edith and the Bears - Dare Wright
Ocracoke - Carl Goerch
Ocracoke - David Shears
Ocracoke Portrait - Ann Ehringhaus
The Keeper's Son - Homer Hickam
Up Through the Water - Darcey Steinke
The Mourner's Bench - Susan Dodd
Thirteen Miles to Suncrest - Donald Davis
Shipwrecks of the Outer Banks - Kevin Duffus
Sea Born Women - BJ Mountford

There are many more. Leave a comment and suggest a few, if you know of others.

1 comment:

tunnellj said...

I'm famous! I haven't heard of "Keeper's Son" - will have to search. GOOD BLOGGIN.