Sunday, July 29, 2007

Life at the number 1 beach

Tom from Texas asked "Have you noticed new visitors drawn specifically by Dr. Beach's #1 designation?"

I think so, yes. Of course, I haven't done any scientific study on this, but in general the island seems busier. Especially lately, every weekend finds EVERY room on the island booked, even in the larger hotels which typically have a handful of rooms available for last minute travelers.

It also seems that there are many more people coming to the island who not only have never been here before, but who are completely clueless about Ocracoke, even the fact that it takes a ferry to get here.

Finally, I have heard many visitors talking about the fact that they are going to see the number 1 beach in the nation.

I am curious to see how long this lasts. I wonder if the fall "shoulder season" will be busier than usual too. I hope so, for the sake of businesses who could use the extra income. But I certainly also hope that things slow down a bit, too. The fall is usually a great time to recharge and catch up with friends, since everyone is so busy in the summer. Since this summer is busier than normal, we will all need a good fall to rest and recharge!

No comments: