Sunday, July 22, 2007

No naps

Naps are not a realistic option for me on weekdays, but weekends are a bit slower paced with more free time which I could use to snooze. I am tired by the weekends, too, as a result of my full and hectic weekdays. So you would think I would make it a point to nap on Saturday or Sunday. This weekend was a perfect one for napping; it was overcast and a bit cool both days, so I could stay indoors or on the screened porch without feeling like I was wasting good outdoor time ("burnin' daylight", as I once heard it described).

But did I take any naps this weekend? You guessed it...no, I didn't. The reason wasn't so much about my "too busy" island life, as much as it was related to life being too interesting to nap through. Instead of napping this weekend, I read most of a good book (didn't quite finish it, but read a great deal). I had several good conversations, learned a few new and interesting things (including a few facts about the Argentinian traditional social practice of drinking a tea called mate), and enjoyed listening to some excellent live music.

All of this reminds me of the lyrics of a song by Ann Haley (from Oriental NC):

It's a beautiful life
Good cup of coffee, and some lively conversation
It's a beautiful life
Watching stars come out, over God's green plantation

I watched a few stars come out this weekend too. It is a beautiful life, and an interesting one...too interesting sometimes to stop and take naps. I think I'll go to bed a bit early instead!

No comments: