Friday, August 3, 2007

Chatting with Grant

The UPS guy who brings packages to Ocracoke is named Grant. He is a friendly guy, and, even though when I see him he is quite busy, he usually takes a few seconds just to say hello. He brought me a box today, and I noticed he has a new mustache. I commented on it, and we had a brief, friendly, funny conversation.

I like the fact that, on Ocracoke, it often seems that people are more comfortable with being friendly and chatting with total strangers. This may be a factor of being in the South, too, and not entirely related to Ocracoke by itself.

But no matter where you live, you can of course always be friendly. Please be especially nice to service people. They work hard, and are often overlooked and under-appreciated.

In the words of a gentleman who calls himself The Chef and publishes an ezine: "Be nice. Nice is good." :)

No comments: