Thursday, March 22, 2007

Wonderful weather

It was an absolutely beautiful spring day on the island. I don't know what the high temperature was, but it's still warm enough to have doors and windows open to the night air. Even better than the sunshine today, though, were the sounds. I opened the door in the early afternoon and heard what sounded like a dozen birds singing, but was probably only a few. There was just enough breeze that the wind chimes in the screened porch added a note or two to the song every few seconds. It was lovely. Since I was inside most of the day, I felt like I still got to experience the joy of spring...it came in to me, with sweet scents on the breeze to go along with the sounds of the birds.

I did get to go outside and enjoy the wonderful weather later, too. I took a walk with our friends Randy and Diane who are visiting from Concord. We went through Springer's Point and watched the sun set into the water. On the way we saw lovely tiny blossoms on a tree (I think they might have been yaupon blooms). They looked like miniature wedding bells. Very pretty. That reminds me, I need to get going on my next couple of articles (this time for the Mullet Wrapper, the Ocracoke Preservation Society newsletter), one of which will be about yaupon. Guess I'd better do a little research, since I'm obviously not even sure what it looks like! I'll know soon whether that is what we saw today.

Hope you have time to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of spring wherever you are.

No comments: