Sunday, March 18, 2007

Pot luck o' the Irish

I went to a great potluck today, in celebration of St. Patrick's Day. Yes, we all realize the party was a day late; my friend Sundae, who hosted the event, believes that continuing to celebrate an event after "the day" just prolongs the joy! That wasn't actually the reason the gathering was today, but it's still a good philosophy.

I thoroughly enjoyed the potluck: the food was wonderful, the drinks were great (more on that in a moment), some incredibly funny jokes were told, and it was just fun to be with a group of friends. Most people had brought food which was either actually Irish (Linda's soda bread and the traditional Haggerty onion, cheese, and potato dish John made for us to bring) or at least green. Sundae had made a delicious punch called "Sneaky Pat" (usually called Sneaky Pete, but renamed in honor of this occasion) which was described to me as containing "more vodka than you'll realize". That turned out to be quite an accurate description, as the punch was delicious and didn't taste alcoholic at all. After quickly drinking my first cup, I realized I had better eat something before I imbibed any more! It was later revealed that another ingredient was powdered sugar. No wonder it was so good!

After we ate, we enjoyed some Irish musical entertainment: Rob played Danny Boy on a metal whistle and Molly played an Irish tune on her fiddle. We finished out the evening in true Irish style: drinking, and laughing a lot.

No comments: