Friday, March 16, 2007

Weird weather day and duck decoys

We have run the gamut of spring weather here today. It started out gray and just slightly windy this morning. In the middle of the day, it suddenly got pretty dark, and then we had a minor downpour. The wind had picked up quite a bit before the rainstorm, so we had a classic March day on Ocracoke - I describe them as "raining sideways" days. For a while, after the storm, it was bright and sunny. Now it is raining again, although not as hard as earlier.

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to get to see my neighbor's collection of duck decoys. He has an entire room in his house dedicated to them. There were old and new ones, unpainted functional "working ones", beautiful painted "show" ones, and everything in between. He doesn't have just ducks, either - there were swans, geese and a cormorant as well. Jerry told me who had carved many of them. Some were by native O'cockers, others by transplants to the island, and many were by off island carvers. I am not sure how many he had, but I would guess a few hundred. There were wood ones and canvas ones (the canvas is stretched over a ribbed frame made of metal). Jerry showed me how to tell whether the canvas ones had been used or were just for show: the functional ones have a hole in the bottom to let the water out of them. I enjoyed learning more about them, and seeing the results of the talent and hard work of so many people.

No comments: