Monday, October 20, 2008

Small green things

I was driving about 65 miles an hour on Highway 40 yesterday when I noticed a small green lizard-like animal (possibly an anole) clinging for dear life to my windscreen. I felt awful for the little guy, as I saw him struggling to stay attached although the wind was working hard to pry him loose.

I hate to stop on the side of a highway. It feels dangerous and scary to me to pull off the road, and even more so to pull back onto it. It's also nerve wracking to actually get out of a car parked on the side of a road on which the traffic is going at least 65 miles an hour, whizzing by the door (and my body).

That said, I couldn't bear to watch my little green friend lose his struggle. So I pulled off the highway as far as I could (my right wheels were in the grass), got out of the car, and got him to jump off my car onto the ground. I managed to pull safely back into traffic, and was really glad I had stopped. It is important to take care of the things on which we can have an impact (positive or negative) - whether they are small green things or the entire large green and blue planet.

Okay, that's my soapbox for the day. Please try to do your part to take care of the earth, wherever you are...

No comments: