Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Music, dancing, and stories

I spent a highly entertaining evening at Deep Water Theater tonight. First, there was an Ocrafolk Opry show, which was excellent as always. It was shorter than the shows usually are, though, to allow time for the next fun portion of the night: a traditional Ocracoke square dance.

Philip Howard taught the enthusiastic group (mostly participants in this week's Ocrafolk School sessions) the basic moves, and then called them through the first dance. It looked like everyone enjoyed themselves, although many of them were commenting that dancing is good exercise, and most left after the first round. A smaller group did one more dance, during which I danced with Philip (Merle, who had been his partner for the first dance, decided to sit the second dance out). I always enjoy square dancing with Philip, as he is really great at swinging me around. Tonight, he tried to get me dizzy by swinging us around over and over, but only succeeded in making himself dizzy. It was pretty funny.

My favorite part of the evening, though, was after the event was over. I happened to walk out with Philip, and he told me several funny stories about O'cockers, some of whom are no longer alive. I always love hearing about the lives of the people whose families have made this island home for generations.

No comments: