Monday, October 27, 2008

Saturday of sales

Before I lived on Ocracoke, I didn't like yard sales. I didn't go to them, and the few times I held one (before moving), I didn't enjoy the process: people showing up at 6 AM (when you've advertised the sale starts at 7 AM) and banging on the door because they want the best deal, folks barging into my house (even after I've informed them that everything that's for sale is outside), and bargain hunters complaining when I explain that I'm asking 50 dollars, not 50 cents, for that entire set of knives which is worth about $250 are just a few examples. I was not a fan of yard sales at all.

On Ocracoke, I love yard sales. They usually start later, no one does any banging or barging, and haggling is minimal or skipped entirely. I've purchased some terrific things at island yard sales, and even enjoyed them even when I didn't buy anything.

I will be in yard sale heaven on Saturday Nov. 8th. There are three sales planned:
- one on the lawn of the Pony Island Inn, to raise money for the Ocracoke Youth Center (starts at 9 AM)
- one at the Methodist church (also starting at 9 AM; they'll be selling food (sandwiches/soup/bake sale items) later too)
- one at the Assembly of God church (this one starts at 7 AM, and they also will be selling food (I think they said fried chicken, but don't remember for sure) at this one as well

Sounds like I have another full Saturday ahead of me!

No comments: