Friday, September 12, 2008

Record numbers

People often ask how many students attend the single pre K-12 school on the island. The answer is usually "around 100", but this year it's a good bit higher. There are currently 132 students enrolled, which is a record for the school. My graduating class had around 5 times that many students! I have to say, though, that I think I would have liked it better if it was sized like the graduating classes around here, which have varied in the last few years between about 5 and about 8 seniors. In past years, there have been classes with as few as 1 graduate (and some years with none).

A high percentage of the graduates go on to college (no, I don't know exactly what it is, nor have I done a study on the subject, but based on my observation and the people I've asked about it, that seems to be the case). Many of them return to the island after earning their degrees, marrying and having kids of their own to become the future students and graduates. I love the continuity of this, at least partially because my life has not been an example of this type of thing at all - I graduated high school about half a world away from where my parents went!

So if you have ever wondered about the school here on the island, now you know just a little on the topic!

No comments: