Tuesday, September 30, 2008

How people change

I recently "joined" Facebook, at the invitation of a friend. (Yes, I know that this makes me either significantly behind, or strange, depending on how old you are.) Anyway, I found several of my friends from High School through Facebook, and have been in contact with a few of them. I've learned some amazing things about how much people can change.

Here are just a few examples (all names have been changed).

My friend Bree, who was never one interested in exercise - has lost 70 pounds and is training for a marathon. (I need to follow her example!)
Frank, who was an unassuming, friendly, funny guy - was arrested for soliciting sex with a minor over the internet. (This one surprised me the most.)
Carl, on whom I had a huge crush, at least in part because of his gorgeous hair - is balding and was considering becoming a nudist (the last time I talked to him - I'm not sure whether he did).
Nate, whose senior picture shows him with short hair and a tie, the picture of conservative - followed his bliss and is now a long haired guitarist in his own rock band.
Sam, who was a popular jock, very attractive and very aware of it - his Facebook picture is of his twins (which just goes to show that almost everything we thought was important in high school turns out - in the long run - to be irrelevant).
George, who was what we called a "dork" back then, is now "hot and a lawyer" (according to Bree).
Susan, who starred in all the plays and musicals, and everyone thought would go on to Broadway - sells real estate instead.

And me? Well I've had a fairly unconventional life. I married a man 26 years my senior, moved to an island, and temporarily adopted my sister's son (we'll give him back when she finishes college). I haven't had kids of my own (at least not yet), and I didn't become a teacher (at least not long term); instead, I work in "Corporate America", a fact that might surprise several of my High School friends.

"Funny ol' world, isn't it?"

No comments: