Friday, September 5, 2008

Friends for stormy weather

We are still in Colorado, and therefore can't prepare our house for tropical storm Hanna. Neither John nor I is particularly concerned about the storm, but we have been keeping an eye on forecasts. From here, though, that's all we can do: watch.

I had essentially resigned myself to that condition, and decided to try not to worry about anything, when I got a voicemail. It was from Marcy, my across the street neighbor. She and my friend Mary Ellen have been looking in on our cats during this trip, to make sure they have food and water and are their usual happy selves. Marcy was calling to say that they had hoped to find Jamie (our outdoor cat) in order to put him in the house so he doesn't get drenched in the storm, but neither of them had seen him.

Mary Ellen called a bit later and asked if there was anything she could do for us in advance of the storm. John asked her if she would please move some items in our garage off the floor and onto shelves instead, which she said she and her husband Jim would gladly take care of for us that evening.

It was lovely to be reminded, from so far away, of one of the things I love about my friends and the Ocracoke community: they will be there to support or help, in good weather and bad. Hope you have friends like that too, wherever you are...

No comments: