Monday, September 15, 2008

Hold the ferry...

Generally, if you are not on the ferry when it is time for the ferry to leave, you are going to miss it. On both the mainland (Cedar Island and Swan Quarter) and the Hatteras runs, the crews make every effort to ensure that things stay on schedule.

That said, there are always exceptions. In church on Sunday, Pastor Joyce mentioned that she would have to run right out at the end (and would not be able to stay and greet folks) so that she could get the ferry: they were holding it for her, to allow her time to finish the service and still get where she needed to go, but they wouldn't hold it long.

Once, the ferry was held for me. It was the dead of winter, I was supposed to be on the early morning (6:30) ferry to Swan Quarter, but it was incredibly foggy that morning. I called at 5:45 or so to find out if the ferry was going to run, but the captain hadn't decided yet so I was asked to call back. After a handful of calls, they determined that the fog had lifted enough to make the trip, and I said "I'll be right there". I drove to the docks and onto the ferry, they closed the gate behind me, and we left. I was the only car on there! (I guess everyone else had decided to go north via Hatteras. There probably weren't many people planning to be on that run in the first place, as it was late December, not a time for many visitors.) I enjoyed being the only passenger on the ferry, mostly because I was able to sleep for almost the entire ride, and didn't have to think about whether anyone would giggle at me all bundled up in my comforter, stretched out across three seats in the passenger lounge! Not that I haven't done that other times, when there are other people on the ferry...sometimes the need to snooze and be warm overrides all other thoughts and concerns!

No comments: