Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Island invitations

I used to be a written invitation person. I like to create cute designs, print them out on card stock, and hand them out to my friends to let them know of any event I'm having. If I'm feeling really creative, I make matching decorations for the party itself. I love party planning websites and stores, for the cute theme ideas they include.

I'm over all that now, living on Ocracoke. Here, when something is planned, the general method of inviting people is simply word of mouth. I recently participated in a funny, very short hand version of this when I invited a friend to the potluck this Saturday as we biked by each other in opposite directions. I only had a few seconds, so the invitation went like this: (me yelling) "Potluck. Saturday. 6 o'clock. My house." She yelled back "Thanks!" On Ocracoke, that's as good as a decorative written invitation, and I fully expect to see her on Saturday.

No comments: