Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Full day

This is another one of my "how to have a perfectly marvelous day" blogs. I had a terrific, full one today.

I started out with a walk through Springer's Point nature preserve with some of the participants from the storytelling workshop group. It was a lovely morning, and I very much enjoyed hearing Merle's stories of Sam Jones.

By the end of the walk, it was starting to heat up for the day. I had about an hour before I needed to be anywhere, so I went to Ocracoke Coffee Company and had a smoothie. There, I enjoyed people watching (and my smoothie, of course).


I liked the image of all the colorful mugs, lined up and ready for someone to take them home.

After finishing my smoothie, I biked over to the OPS museum to listen to three of the storytelling workshop participants tell their tales. This was the first official "porch talk" at the museum for the season, and it was a good one. The crowd was around 75 people, and they were greatly appreciative of the stories. I looked around at the listeners during the telling, and saw a smile on every face.

After the storytelling, the workshop group ate lunch at the Flying Melon, one of my very favorite restaurants.

We then went back to the house called Full Catch, where we have been meeting, and spent the afternoon in workshop time. That consists primarily of listening to, and learning from the stories of others. Learning both about the art and craft of storytelling, and also about life itself, for every good story is a teacher.

After the workshop, I was inspired to work on my own story which I might like to tell during one of the group sessions. I came home and wrote out the ideas I had, which helped me to firm them up in my head, and also to see what I had learned from the time in my life which the story is about.

After my writing session, I joined the workshop group at Bill & Lyda's house for wine and snacks, a lovely segue into the evening meal. Most members of the group had ordered take out from Thai Moon, and after picking it up we took it to a dock on Silver Lake and enjoyed it (and each other's company) there while watching the sunset.

Not too bad a day, huh? Hope you are enjoying your summer days too, wherever you are...

No comments: