Monday, June 16, 2008

Busy, in other words

Last week, Rudy Austin was trying to get in touch with me, but every time he called, he got my answering machine. Then, when I called back, I usually got his wife and left a message. We went back and forth with this game of phone tag several times, before finally having a conversation on Wednesday (he had started trying to contact me on the previous Friday, if I remember correctly).

Anyway, the thing that made this blog worthy was one of the messages he left me: "Man, you must be a busy woman. You are hard some to get up with."

If you've never heard this particular Ocracoke brogue construction, the "some" effectively functions like "really", only it is said after the word it modifies. Philip Howard has taught his young grandson Lachlan to use "some" like a true O'cocker. If you ask Lachlan (who will turn 4 in August) how he is, odds are quite good that he will say "good some".

Hope your life is good some, wherever you are...

No comments: