Sunday, June 24, 2007

OUCH!

Or "ow ow ow ow". That's what I said this morning after giving myself a deep gash in my finger. Shortly after that, in answer to the question "what's wrong?" I said "I cut myself. Deeply. I'm going to need stitches." And need stitches I did. I got 9.

Dr. Moore was gentle, kind, and very thorough. He took a good look at my ugly wound to make sure there wasn't anything in it, and to see if I had severed a tendon (I came very close, but thank goodness narrowly missed). (I did do a number on many nerves, and most of my finger is still numb.) Then he stitched me up, as neatly as possible considering the large hole I had created!

This incident reminded me of several things:
- always be careful with sharp knives :)
- how important one's index finger truly is - doing just about anything without moving it much is difficult, and typing is quite interesting (I usually type over 70 words a minute, but I'm well off that pace this evening, and the next several blogs will probably be short...)
- how grateful I am that, even on our small island, we have all the services we need, provided by our neighbors and our friends

Stay safe!

No comments: