Monday, June 25, 2007

Adding insult to injury

When you cut yourself deeply, or when you burn yourself, medical professionals want to give you a tetanus shot. I know this from personal experience, my last 3 tetanus shots having been received in association with, and as a direct result of, other injuries. The only good thing about this fact is that it helps me remember when my last shot was. I had one when I was 16 after burning my arms at my Burger King job. The next one was when I was 26, after I stabbed myself in the foot with a rusty clam rake. That one was during my honeymoon! And then I got one yesterday after assaulting my finger with my kitchen knife. (It hadn't been quite 10 years, but it was close enough.)

So now, in addition to my finger alternately hurting and tingling, while still being numb and generally useless, my left arm aches from the tetanus shot.

Yes, I'm done whining now. It could definitely have been worse. A friend told me today about the time he severed a tendon, and it made me VERY grateful to have missed mine.

Believe it or not, I managed to cut myself in the kitchen again this morning! This time it was just a small paper cut type incision, which I gave myself on the edge of some aluminum foil. Apparently I need to be kept away from all sharp objects!

No comments: