Thursday, June 21, 2007

Happy Solstice!

Today is the summer solstice, the longest day of the year (in terms of the number of hours of daylight). Out here near the eastern-most edge of North Carolina, sunset was at 8:21. To celebrate the solstice, a group of friends gathered on the beach for a bonfire. LouAnn had a ring of flowers in her hair, as did several of the other ladies. Sundae brought a whole bag of fairy attire, which she happily shared. A handful of us donned wings, sheer skirts, and other shimmery gossamer things. We took silly photos, dug a fire pit, and waited for dark.

As a lovely pink, orange, and yellow sunset disappeared behind the dunes, darkness fell and the stars began to come out. Unfortunately, so did the mosquitoes! Thank goodness someone had thought to bring bug spray and didn't mind sharing, or I would have had to run screaming from the gathering. Mosquitoes really love me. Suffice it to say, if I'm around, no one else needs repellent! After I had sprayed myself down, I settled on the sand to watch and enjoy. I also made s'mores setups for anyone who wanted to roast marshmallows in the fire. Caroline was sweet enough to roast some for me, so I got to have a s'more myself as well, which was a treat.

Donald brought out his high powered laser pointer with the green beam which reaches all the way to the sky, and gave tours of the constellations to anyone who wanted to listen.

We ate and drank, talked and listened, and generally enjoyed ourselves for several hours before heading home by moonlight. I had forgotten how indescribably lovely the beach is at night, and realized I definitely need to make a more frequent habit of going there after dark.

Earlier this afternoon, I had the opportunity to send some photographs of Ocracoke to a magazine for possible publication. I have no idea whether they will use them or not, but it was a blessing to have the chance to send them in just in case. I reflected on the fact that I have had many such opportunities as a result of living on Ocracoke, and was touched once again by the island's magic.

Tonight, as I watched sparks fly and flames dance in the fire, saw a shooting star over the ocean, and was enriched by the company of friends, I counted my blessings and thanked the Creator for this place which has been (and continues to be) such a healing balm for my soul and a nurturing cocoon for my emerging self, as I continue to be given opportunities to explore my abilities and learn who I can be. For me, today truly was a happy solstice.

No comments: