Friday, June 8, 2007

It's official

Stephen Leatherman (aka "Dr. Beach") was on the beach this morning, doing interviews and talking about his list of the top 10 beaches for 2007. The list was officially released at 12:15 PM. As expected, Ocracoke is now number 1.

You can check out the official list, and learn more about clean beaches here.

I have been up since shortly after 5 AM this morning, since I wanted to go out and see the activity on the beach. The Ocracoke rumor machine had been in a frenzy, and the word was that the Today Show would be filming on the beach, and that Matt Lauer was here on the island. Needless to say, that was all unfounded and untrue. Yes, Dr. Beach was out on the beach and filming interviews, but Matt was nowhere to be seen. Well, you could see him on NBC. In New York.

As Philip so eloquently put it "What's everyone so excited about? This is all there is to see!" ("This" was a tent, a truck with a satellite dish on it, a cameraman, an interviewer, and "Dr. B" in a red shirt.)

I am glad I got out of bed anyway, because how often do you see a truck with a satellite dish on it on Ocracoke's beach? One can hope never again. I did get a picture, which I'll post tomorrow. Right now I'm going to bed!

No comments: