Monday, March 14, 2011

Kittens

I have recently volunteered to foster and tame Ocracats kittens who might be candidates for adoption. Apparently, I'm reasonably good at it, as the two I've had so far have become wonderful loving pets. The only downside? I got attached to and adopted them, so they are my pets. That's not a bad thing at this point, but it does mean that I need a new strategy if I'm going to continue doing this for Ocracats. (Either that, or I'm going to get started early on working toward my retirement goal of becoming the crazy cat lady of Ocracoke!) I have four cats at the moment, which is enough for now. I think that, going forward, I should only foster and tame cats who already have a person identified who plans to adopt them.

Working with feral kittens is an interesting experience, and provides several life lessons about things like patience, how slowly trust builds, and unconditional love. I find it rewarding and don't want to stop doing it...but need to figure out how to do so in a way that doesn't end with me keeping all of them!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Must require lots of your time. No wonder you get attached.

Anonymous said...

Ocracats? Is that a particular breed? I'd sure love to see their pedigrees.

Ocrakate said...

Good question, and I should clarify. Ocracats is actually the name of the organization on the island which attempts to keep the feral cat population under control (and healthy). I tend to use it as a generic term for the feral cats on the island, although in this particular case I did get the kittens through the Ocracats organization, of which I am a member. We capture, spay/neuter, and release cats as possible, and sometimes instead of releasing, we tame them for adoption. I volunteered to help with the taming...and ended up doing the adopting, too!