Friday, May 28, 2010

Ocracoke's got talent

I went to the Ocracoke School Talent Show tonight, and had my faith in humanity restored. (Well, partially at least. I doubt it will ever be fully restored.) I did, however, get to see many things which moved me greatly and reminded me that people can be wonderfully good.

I took pictures of the performances, and I'll post them later. But they don't show the most important things I saw.

I saw lots of brave and talented kids showing off their skills - at music, dancing, acrobatics, and even magic tricks.

I saw an audience transfixed by - and proud of - THEIR kids, even though many in the audience weren't directly related to any of the kids performing.

I saw a seventh grader jump up and pump his arms with pride for one of his friends who had just performed.

I saw a fourth grader blow the crowd away with his piano solo, and then saw all his fourth grade friends give him fist bumps for doing such a great job.

And I saw evidence that Lou doesn't just play "anything with strings" (which is how I've often described him) - he plays the drums, too!

2 comments:

Lisa Uotinen said...

I'm so glad you had a good time at a good old-fashioned talent show! I really enjoy hearing anything at all about you and Ocracoke.

TLDMDX said...

This is Trisha, and I was there, too, for part of the time. I sat next to Kati as she took the photos and witnessed the incredible spirit of Ocracoke. I also bought a print of the lighthouse drawn by one of the first-graders. Our ever devoted art teacher, Kittie had matted and wrapped dozens of them for sale. It was difficult to choose only one. I cannot wait to have it framed and mounted in my new Ocracoke home!