Monday, August 31, 2009

Planning

One of the side effects of working as a Project Manager is that my planning strategies tend to spill over into my life. I am currently working on preparing for our upcoming trip to Colorado Springs, and I'm doing so with a spreadsheet. Yes, really. I'm not kidding. Yes, I understand that this may be a sign that I need some form of professional help!

Seriously, when I travel, I feel like I don't want to miss any of the "best" things the area has to offer, so I like to do loads of research about what to do. I can't keep it all in my head, so I use a spreadsheet to create a list of ideas. And then I have to admit I can't do it all and shorten the list a bit. (Well, at least I will certainly have to do that for the Colorado Springs trip - there's LOADS to see and do around there, and my list currently has 24 things on it!) Let me know if you're planning a trip to that part of the world...I'll send you my spreadsheet if you want ideas!

I recently saw a list of the "assets" of Ocracoke (i.e. the things to do; the reasons people visit here), and was impressed with how many were on it. A group of people involved with the Civic and Business Association created it. Here it is - how many of these would you have thought of?

lighthouse
pirates
ghost legends
water sports
beaches
Portsmouth Island
fishing
bicycling
historic village
restaurants
lodging
live entertainment
welness retreat
night sky
unique shops and galleries
arts & crafts
park service
nature trails
ponies
birding
watermen
waterfowlers
history
British Cemetery
boating
festivals
traveling to the island

No comments: