Saturday, August 8, 2009

Another Charlotte

There's a creature living on the outside of my house which I want to call Charlotte. It's a writing spider, and although she hasn't written "some pig", she has been doing some zig zagging recently. I finally got a good picture of her to share. It's hard to see her writing since the background behind her is a light color, but if you look close you may be able to make it out.



I had never actually seen a writing spider until I lived on Ocracoke. I am not a fan of spiders inside my house, but I think they are amazing, beautiful creatures and enjoying seeing them when they are outside.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The spider you posted about is an Argiope aurantia, or "Garden Spider" and is common to the lower 48 United States, Hawaii, southern Canada, Mexico, and Central America.

Charlotte (from the book Charlotte's Web) is often referred to as a "Writing Spider" by the uninformed, but she is actually a Araneus cavaticus or "Barn Spider."

Ocrakate said...

Thanks for calling me uninformed.

The Charlotte reference was mostly because the blog of the day before had been about Charlotte's birthday party.

Now lighten up a bit!

Anonymous said...

I'm plenty relaxed, but thanks for your concern! I didn't want you to pass along incorrect information, therefore misinforming your avid readers.

Ocrakate said...

See, that's pretty much exactly my point. If this were Wikipedia, or a blog about spiders, and I were claiming to present factual information about arachnids, you would have a point.

As it is, I didn't "pass along incorrect information". I didn't even claim that the spider on my house was the same kind as Charlotte. I said I wanted to call her Charlotte, meaning she reminded me of Charlotte, because she was "writing" in her web.