Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Comments

I got three comments today, all of which were a bit snarky in my opinion. So here are my three thoughts about blog comments.

1. I love comments. I prefer when the commenter provides his or her name, making the communication more personal (and usually more polite, too...it's easy to hide behind "Anonymous" when one wants to be snarky). If you don't have a blogger account name to post under, you can still sign your comment with your name.

2. I reserve the right to not publish any comments that are snarky or rude. My opinion of whether they are snarky or rude will be the sole and final decision maker.

3. I reserve the right to respond (possibly snarkily) back to comments that I think are snarky or rude, should I decide to publish them.

If you can live with those guidelines, comment away!

Oh, and 3b - I reserve the right to add additional thoughts to this list of three thoughts, should I have any or find that any other "guidelines" are necessary. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate,

Just wanted to say that although I don't leave comments, I read your blog everyday and wanted to say thanks for posting all your "stuff". It keeps us up to date on island happenings. We spend 4 weeks in the spring and 4 weeks in the fall on the island and have you to keep us informed the other 44 weeks! Thanks for your time and effort, Vinnie.

Debbie Leonard said...

Funny! I agree with you; it is very easy to hide behind "anonymous" and to say things you wouldn't say to the person if you were face to face.

Anonymous said...

We love your blog Kati! Don't let those snarky comments get you down!! -Mel

Anonymous said...

Kati, it sounds as if the same person that puts snarky comments on Philip's blog has found yours also. It amazes me that this person has nothing better or more productive to do with their time than continually put down or attempt to be superior to those that write them or leave other comments.

I've heard it takes all kinds but this kind we can do without!

Jane

Ocrakate said...

Thanks everyone! It's terrific to know that there are people who read and enjoy the blog.

Hope your day is marvelous, wherever you are!

Kati

Unknown said...

Too bad about the snarky comments! I read your blog from time to time and find it a facinating, if slightly delusional perspective of life on Ocracoke. If you are going to allow public comments on your blog, then IMO, you should be prepared for whatever feedback those comments may illicit. Editorial blogs like yours are prime targets for comments, especially when they are written in a pollyannaish style.

Ocrakate said...

Well, it's a relief that I'm only "slightly" delusional. I was worried.

You may have a point about comments, and perhaps I'll just turn them off (haven't decided yet).

Your statement about "pollyannaish" blogs being even more of a target for comments is fascinating to me. I wonder why people are more likely to comment (snarkily or otherwise) if a blog is " characterized by irrepressible optimism and a tendency to find good in everything". (That's from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary definition of Pollyanna.)