Thursday, August 6, 2009

Furry friends

A blog reader asked whether there is a place on the island to board pets when visiting. I thought others might wonder the same thing, so I here's a blog to let everyone know about it. (I have a very vague memory that I may have blogged about this before, but I don't remember for sure and it will probably take me less time to blog about it again than to search for that old blog, so here goes!)

There is a kennel on the island, called Sandy Paws Bed and Biscuit. Here's their ad:



The lady who runs Sandy Paws is Janet Spencer, and she is a wonderful, warm, friendly person. She was one of the first folks to befriend me after we moved to the island (we lived close to her home and Sandy Paws at the time, and I would often see her out walking several dogs - her own plus the Bed and Biscuit "guests"). One of the great things about her facility is that you can go get your pet anytime you want to, without any need to coordinate with Janet to meet you there. She provides you with a combination code for the lock, so you can come and go as needed, and visit your furry friend at any time of day.

I love seeing dogs on the beach - it's the picture of pure unadulterated joy. Dogs and the beach just naturally go together! So if you've ever wanted to bring your dog but didn't have a place to stay which would accept him or her, now you know about this option and can choose to bring your best friend on vacation with you!

3 comments:

Tammy Elrod said...

Thanks, Kati, this is exactly the information we are looking for. I am so glad Max can come with us to Ocracoke. I can't wait to see him on the beach. I especially like that you can get your pet any time of the day or night! That is perfect. Thanks for your help! When I call to make reservations, I will make sure I let her know that you recommended the place!

Thanks!
Tammy

Tammy Elrod said...

Hey, Kati,

I just called the number for Sandy Paws and the message says that she isn't taking any more reservations for the season because she is returning to VA for the school year. Any other suggestions?

tammy

Ocrakate said...

Hi Tammy ~ sorry about that! Unfortunately, I don't have any other recommendations, as there isn't another place to board pets on the island (at least not that I know of). The only other thing I know to suggest is that you could rent a house that is pet-friendly. I know that you guys rent the same house every year, though, and it would probably require a change for you to do that. Sorry...